Thursday, June 28, 2012

Field Experience Summary


1.  How many hours did you complete?     5

2.  How did you spend your time?
    
I went to the Whitley County Public Library and assisted the librarian with shelf reading.  As easy as it seemed, it took a little more attention to detail than I expected.  I definitely said the alphabet many times during the time spent.  I also went back to the library and assisted with the craft session.  The children were making constellation tubes and star jars, very creative activity.  The children really enjoyed making their own constellations and star jars.  My favorite part was interacting with the children and talking to them about their favorite books and what they like best about the night sky.

3.  How did the experience help you to strengthen at least one Kentucky Teacher Standard?
    
Standard 6: Professional Learning and Leadership
Without the strong since of leadership in the role of children's librarian, the ideas that are thought of would not get completed.  This experience made me get out of my comfort zone and work with children to show them the proper way to act in a library yet have fun as children, especially with helping with crafts.  This gave them a good opportunity to be creative, learn and just have fun. 

4.  Talk a little about one thing you learned because of this field experience.

I learned that there is a lot that goes into being a children's librarian.  After talking with the Whitley County Public Library's Librarian, I got a larger look on what she does during a year.  She attends preschools, does story time for children, and comes up with the crafts that they get to do, and also keeps the library in order.  There are more things that she does but these are the main things that we discussed.  I was glad to hear that she got to get into the schools and show them others crafts and ideas that they are not use to seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment