Monday, May 14, 2012

Kitten's First Full Moon


Henkes, Kevin (2004).  Kitten's first full moon.  New York: Scholastic Inc.

Kitten's First Full Moon is a picture book based on a kitten's adventure to get to a bowl milk.  Everyone knows that kittens love milk and this wonderful book has many illustrations that tell the story.  The story is told during the night hours, which I would think is midnight because of the full moon; takes place at the owner's home and surrounding yard.  The full moon sits high in the sky for the kitten to see and her first reaction is that it is a great big bowl of milk.  She wants it!  In not so many words, the kitten goes through a few adventures to reach her goal.  I am definitely a cat person, so after reading this book I could definitely compared this to my cat.

The setting of this particular picture book is one that stands out to me the most.  If this story were to be told at any other time of day, it wouldn't have the same affect.  The kitten sees this big bright thing in the night sky to be a bowl of milk, and if it were daylight the sun would be up and the bowl wouldn't be visible to her, as she probably knows the sun.  This full moon was her first.  The story contains a plot that has a person-against-self conflict.  The kitten is trying to reach her goal by getting to the bowl of milk and will do whatever it takes to get to it.  This book has few words in it, but by looking at the illustrations the story is very well told through picture.  I believe that the illustrator did a wonderful job creating the style to go along with what the author created.  They meshed very well together in my opinion.  I thought this story was very cute and could teach any child to reach for "the stars".  Children in the age group of 3-5 would be able to follow along with the story because of the illustrations.  Not having worked with children much, except my nephews, I've watched how they react to pictures in books and how they follow along with a story line.  

When going to the library, I knew that I wanted to read books by the "mouse book guy", how I knew him.  The author is Kevin Henkes and while looking on the shelf at his books, I came across Kitten's First Full Moon, a book that I had never read.  So automatically since I love cats, I found this book very fitting for myself.

BIG Question:  Just as the kitten did, what would you do in order to reach your goal?  What adventures would you go on to complete the goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment